Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Response to Jacquelynn

I started to reply to your comments, but I decided to do a random post instead. This is not for credit or any "word-of-the-day" post; it is just random thought about the comment.


jacquelynn_bensing Said: "the experiences of the author are not necessarily the experiences of everyone who travels in Latin America" nice disclaimer :). Another common American touristy thing is we talk far too much while traveling. I've never been to Latin America, but in Spain and Austria I could always point out the American tourists because they were typically the ones talking loudly on public transportation. We especially love to tell our life story while on an airplane, which is just not something they do in Europe."

I completely agree. American tourists always seemed more ostentatious. They were more ready to pick a fight, yell along with a song at a bar, or talk louder when someone doesn't speak English in some vain hope that volume will somehow impart knowledge onto the listener.

Please note that this is a generalization. Some Americans travel well and blend in. I've met Europeans, Asians and Australians who do the same thing; however, based on colloquial evidence and my own experience it seems that Americans are the worst at being tourists.

This poses an interesting question: why are Americans perceived this way? I have a couple of theories:

1. Could it be true? As far as a complete generalization: no. I for one am an American and have traveled abroad and I disagree that ALL Americans are that way. As I stated before, some are actually quite adept at living in Latin America, but it seems that a few bad apples affect the reputation of all.

2. It is a perception that rises from American imperialism. This is the most probable of the theories. People do not view you as an individual when you travel, they see you as a representative of your nation. When speaking specifically of Latin America, imperialism is a relevant topic because Americans are viewed as an extension of U.S. policy; one is complacent because of their citizenship.

3. Lack of knowledge of foreign countries/cultures. This is especially evident when compared with European tourist. Due to the geography of Europe and with the advent of the EU, travel between countries in that continent are rather simple. Plus, the U.S., geographically speaking, is very large, leading to less travel abroad. Also, in Europe, many people are fluent in more than one language. Unfortunately in the U.S. in the vast majority of cases this is not true.

4. Cultural misconceptions. Americans are gregarious, what can I say. It comes from our individualistic/pioneering roots. In many Americans' minds the world is ours to explore.

These are just a few of the reasons that I believe that this perception exists. Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting takes. I tend to lean toward lack of knowledge. I can't remember specific numbers, but I know a large number of Americans never travel outside of the country and several never even travel outside of their home state. Thus, many Americans just don't know how to act when they are in unfamiliar territory. With a mixture of excitement and nervousness it seems natural to talk about everything you're experiencing. Unfortunately, that often makes you a target.

    The imperialism argument is kind of hard for me to swallow. Once again, I've never traveled to Latin America, but most Europeans don't assume you're an American. While in Spain, they usually thought I was German. While in Austria, they assumed I was Austrian until I opened my mouth, and then they thought I was German until I said where I was from. People in Amsterdam seemed to think I was Swedish based on my blond hair and blue eyes. Although I felt a type of patriotic duty to represent my country, I never felt I was really a representative to the outsiders. It was more a personal desire to disprove the bad stereotypes to the people who really knew me.

    I think another reason for this perception is that it's easy. When people pretend to speak Spanish, they add an "el" to the beginning and "o" to the end of words. For Germans, they spit while talking and do a "heil Hitler". And to be an American, they pretend to have money, expensive jewelry, and wave a flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While in Japan, very few people assumed that I was American, much less that I was non-Japanese. So it was relatively easy for me to blend in as long as I wasn't talking. Once I opened my mouth, the jig was up, so to speak. I do remember at times making a point to state that I am an American. I felt that I did this at times simply to let people know that I am a foreigner in their country and that they should not expect me to know the language as a native-speaker would, nor should they expect me to know mannerisms and all of the details that a native Japanese person would know. Some people can be quite unforgiving to someone who looks like he could be Japanese, but doesn't think or speak like one.

    In regards to Americans in Japan, as both of you have mentioned, some come off as being stereotypically American while some try to "do as the Romans do".

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of you are making great points. I just wrote my acedia post and I think that by the use of "McDonald's" I might have perhaps generalized American tourists as well. While my point was not to say that Americans were bad tourists (or the only nationality with bad tourists), I do think that a great majority are....and going along with Kyle I think that a few might possibly ruin it for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why we are told in Puerto Rico not to act that way because if not you are considered to be "una indigena" and that's not a good term. You are taught to act like an European no matter what! Interesting... so we just party and tell each other not to show that kind of behavior - nunca jamás.

    ReplyDelete