Acedia: apathy or boredom.
According to many Latin American scholars, such as Sarmiento, social conflicts can be boiled down to a simple argument: civilización contra la barbarie, or civilization versus barbarism. This is an incorrect assumption; however, it allows us to frame many of the conflicts in Latin America, such as La Pacificación or the conflict in Bolivia between the indigenous and the mestizos. A more modern interpretation of this conflict can be considered as indigenous versus Western Civilization.
The indigenous peoples of Latin America have often been misconstrued as being lazy, apathetic, and unproductive. I hope to prove in this post that this belief is entirely unfounded.
When discussing Latin America, agrarian reform has been the most pertinent issue since colonization. This is because many of the indigenous people were unfairly pushed off their communal lands or outright conquered, by wealthy, usually white or mestizo, elites of their countries. This process has occurred in virtually every country in Latin America. I will not be covering the Conquistador robbing of their lands; instead, I will cover the expropriation of their lands by Liberal thinkers.
In many places in Latin America, much of the indigenous population existed as sustenance farmers living on ejidos, or communal lands. During the late 19th century, much of this land was expropriated from them in order to give it away to the following groups:
1. Rich agriculturalists who could produce a higher yield for market consumption through technology and capital.
2. Land for colonizing Europeans. You may ask yourself, isn't the colonial period over by the 19th century? Yes and no. Many Latin American governments, spurned by a belief in eugenics, thought that by mixing whites with indigenous people that they would "improve" the indigenous races, "curing" them of their laziness. This may sound far fetched, but read a few passages of Facundo, and you will see that this was quite a common belief at the time.
One thing that I find interesting about Sarmiento and his treatment of the indigenous peoples was that he was a student of Marx. It should have been obvious to him that they were resisting the process of proletariatization. Why would someone want to leave their idyllic life as a sustenance farmer in order to work in a factory 12-15 hours a day, 6 days a week? Also, according to Marx, these people were living in a man's traditional state: villages that shared responsibilities and leadership amongst the group.
Another interesting thing about the myth of the "lazy Indian" is in the context of Mexico during the Revolution of 1910. The picture/stereotype of the campesino taking his siesta is commonplace in this country. This idea stems from the mass starvation that the Mexican people experienced during the years of the Revolution; the campesino did not nap because he was lazy, rather because he was malnourished. Many Mexicans received 1/3 of the daily caloric intake necessary to sustain an active man.
Isn't it obvious that the stereotype of the lazy Indian/Mexican comes from a western interpretation of malnutrition? Or that the campesino did not want to give up his communal lands because he did not wish to be a member of the proletariat?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's very interesting about the malnutrition. I never knew that. I've been told that in Spain they take a siesta in the middle of the day because nobody can survive in the heat.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if this post addresses the apathy or boredom aspect of acedia. I tend to interpret apathy and boredom differently, and I could see how you could go either way. I just wanted to know your opinion on it.
I think your post is very interesting and educational. I understand how starving people would have to rest/sleep more, but I'm missing the link between the campesino who did not want to give up his lands and the perception of the "lazy Indian." Did the campesinos refuse to work for the "man" and that's why they were called lazy? (I'm assuming that you are giving two reasons for the "lazy Indian" misconception.)
ReplyDeleteThe idea of the civilized vs. the barbaric is one that I can't really understand why it's still in use. It's rather ethnocentric, and even if one side views the other as being uncivilized, the other side may hold the same view of the one side. Now, if I hear people comment about how one group is more civilized than another, I tend to take it as a sign of that particular individual's ignorance rather than an observation that would hold any substance against scrutiny.
ReplyDeleteRe: "..many of the indigenous people were unfairly pushed off their communal lands or outright conquered, by wealthy, usually white or mestizo, elites of their countries. This process has occurred in virtually every country in Latin America."
ReplyDeleteAmericans still don't really comprehend this. To understand Latin America, one has to understand who is in power and what they did to get there, and how far they're willing to go to stay there.
@jacquelynn: The siesta is still fairly common, but it does not have to do with malnutrition; it is more of a cultural practice.
ReplyDelete@Elle: About the link between indigenous peoples not wanting to give up their land and the perception of the "lazy Indian", sorry if I was unclear. I was trying to address some of the racial epithets thrown at indigenous peoples. Some of the bourgeoisie typify them as lazy because they do not want to sell their communal lands, this is especially prevalent in Mexico. They interpret an attempt to resist integration and be self-sufficient with laziness and their lower productions (due to the growing of crops for personal consumption).
@Farte: Unfortunately, this is how many members of the Latin American bourgeoisie think about indigenous peoples; they view the conflict of culture as civilization vs. barbarism.
@Wineland: That is true; take Bolivia for instance. Evo Morales is the first indigenous president of the country that claims an indigenous/mestizo population of over 80%. It is especially painful when the power lines of the controlling oligarchy are laid out racially.
Wow, this takes me back to the days of Dr. Villalobos, haha. Very intersting and informative post, as always. :)
ReplyDeleteWell done! I like that instead of bringing up an example of acedia in the culture you're countering a false concept of acedia in the culture as seen by others. So much of our conception of Latin American culture is affected by the stereotypes we see in the media that nobody ever really bothers to correct. It's disturbing to think of how the effects of colonization are still reverberating to this day, but it really shouldn't be ignored (because that would be acedia). Good post.
ReplyDelete