Monday, March 16, 2009

Purfle

Purfle: to finish with an ornamental border.

Today's topic will be on suitable dress/behavior when traveling in Latin America. How does this relate to purfle? One must avoid any items that might purfle oneself. As far as the cultural element, it is important to understand the criminal culture of one's target country in order to avoid trouble.

When traveling through Latin America there are several things for the typical tourist to consider. It is important to keep in mind that in poorer countries, such as Honduras or Bolivia, tourists are marked. This is because they assume (usually correctly) that they are carry a large amount of cash or valuables. Although this may sound slightly ethnocentric, I do speak from experience having lived in Bolivia for 4 years. While I lived there I survived 5 attempted muggings without losing anything.

Also bear in mind that experiences differ while traveling through Latin America and the experiences of the author are not necessarily the experiences of everyone who travels in Latin America. I went to places I should not have gone and opened myself up to street crime, but I feel that I attained a more honest appraisal of urban survival. Some of the advice that I give might be illegal in the countries that you chose to visit, so use at your own risk.

  1. Do not wear jewelry. This is probably the most relevant item when avoiding a mugging and talking about purfle. This may seem as a no-brainer to most, but you would be suprised how many travellers I saw with an expensive watch or earrings. Anything that glitters, even if it is rhinestones or some other semiprecious stone, catches the eye of the mugger.
  2. Do not wear colorful clothing. It makes you stand out. Try to avoid bright colors, stick to black or white.
  3. Do not carry a purse. Sorry ladies and transvestites! A very common practice is to ride by on a motorcycle and grab a purse, usually dragging whoever is carrying it with them!
  4. Never share a taxi. For people who have never lived in a big city, this concept may seem foreign, but it is an extremely common way for a mugger to operate. The other potential occupant will ask the driver or you which way your going. No matter where it is, he'll say, "Me too!" Then you will be overpowered and mugged if you are lucky, killed if you are not. Immediately exit the cab and run if you must.
  5. Do not wear sandals. I cannot stress this enough. DO NOT WEAR SANDALS. You never know when you may have to run, wear tennis shoes or lace ups if it is at all possible.
  6. Do not wear high-heels. See #5
  7. Leather is your friend. When I travel I usually wear a moderately heavy leather coat (weather permitting) and carry a leather backpack. This is because of the tendency of muggers to cut the bottom of your bag with a knife, grab the most valuable object and split. Leather is much more difficult to cut which it is why it is beneficial to have a leather jacket to prevent knife wounds as well.
  8. With credits to Farte for pointing it out to me: Try to travel in a group. This may not always be possible, but at least for your first couple of weeks in an unfamiliar country try to stick to it.
  9. Carry a weapon. This may seem a little controversial, but it is essential. It is important to study the weapons laws of any country that you may visit. Also, it is important not to carry a weapon that you do not know how to use because it can be taken away from you and used against you. I personally suggest a sap, pictured below. This is because of its non-lethal capabilities; you can break someone's arm to disable them without killing them.

Hopefully I have given you enough information to avoid a dangerous encounter in Latin America,

Happy Travels!

8 comments:

  1. That's very useful information. I've never traveled to Latin America, but if I do, I will keep your tips in mind. I heard that a friend of mine, who went to Mexico during winter break, was beaten and robbed. He ended up working in the restaurant of a family so that he could get enough money to pay for transportation back to the U.S. He was an exchange student, so it wasn't as easy for him to just get a call in to friends or family across the border to give him a hand.

    I guess it's also safer to travel in a pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I should have put "Travel By Group" in the list. That is a definite way to increase your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the experiences of the author are not necessarily the experiences of everyone who travels in Latin America" nice disclaimer :).

    Another common American touristy thing is we talk far too much while traveling. I've never been to Latin America, but in Spain and Austria I could always point out the American tourists because they were typically the ones talking loudly on public transportation. We especially love to tell our life story while on an airplane, which is just not something they do in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safety first is important.

    The ongoing violence in Latin America has been unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traveling in a pack is good, and not talking too loudly is good... One of our French TAs just got back from Mexico, just south of San Diego; not a great place to be, but there were 7 of them and they stuck together like glue, she said, which helped... Interesting approach to purfle...toning down your purfle! And Americans, probably more than any others, are quite purfled! We stick out in Europe; you can spot an American a mile away if they don't try and change....it seems...further thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a U.S. marshal, my husband has all kinds of self-defense gear on his closet shelf, including a sap. He told me one time that a hard smack on a person's collarbone can snap it right in two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good information! We take a group of students to Cuernavaca, Mexico every year and right now the students are really nervous about going. We received several emails about how traveling to Mexico these days is not safe. I think it is just common sense and remembering you are not at "home" in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Yes, toning down your purfle for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness!!!!! (thats my response to the weapon suggestion) I don't know how well that would work with me...I get way too nervous in situations of stress. Overall good points, you took this word to an interesting direction. Also, I think that american tourists can be sooooooooooo annoying. My worst experience to date had to do with some american couple in Mexico. Not only did they dress like they were at the country club of their local gated community but they spoke to the waiter like he was mentally retarded. ARG!!!!

    ReplyDelete