When I first read this word, what immediately came to mind was the Virgin of Guadalupe. For those who are not familiar with this story, the Virgin of Guadalupe appeared to Juan Diego, an indigenous man in 1531 in Mexico (Nueva España at the time). She tells him that he must build a cathedral for her. He goes to the archbishop three times in order to get him to build the cathedral, but he always refuses. Finally Diego brings roses that only grew in Spain and an apparition of the Virgin appears in his cloak, shown below:
I personally revile the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe for two reasons: it gives people false hope and it represents marianismo and female subjugation. False hope is fairly reasonable, the article even states that the "miraculous image" was probably copied by a local indigenous person. Yet people pray and cry and tithe to the church rather than seeking true salvation which is the acceptance of the fact that one day you will die. You won't live on forever. Celebrate now, instead of praying to some imaginary "big brother" in the sky. That's my problem with religion: it takes the human out of humanity. Everything that happens is due to someone or something else. "Oh, I cheated on my wife. The devil tempted me. Jesus will forgive me." This is simply absolving yourself from the blame of your misdeed, or "sin". Or "I got that promotion at work, God must have heard my prayers", when instead you got that promotion because you worked hard, God has nothing to do with it! Religion takes the human element out of all of our actions, whether "good" or "bad".
The Virgin of Guadalupe also represents marianismo and female subjugation. She is often portrayed and perceived as the "ideal" woman. Submissive unto the male figures in her life (God, Jesus), she is saddened for her son's suffering, just as the marianista weeps while she prays for the sins of the men in her life. Although it cannot be denied that not everyone views her in this light, she still represents subjugation of women by men and of the indigenous by the Catholic religion.
This post seems to be quite, for lack of a better word, preachy. Although the blog is about your thoughts and ideas and it's nice to hear your thoughts and ideas about religion, Mother Maria, etc. I would be more interested in how you can tie the Virgen de Guadalupe back into U.S. culture. What comparisons can be made between, say, how people in the U.S. practice religion versus people in Mexico? Are there any stories of the Virgin appearing in the U.S. that can be compared to the Mexican legend?
ReplyDeleteVery interesting point of view concerning the representation of female subjugation. Alas, I'm opposed to starting theological arguments, so I'll say no more than that :).
"Be patient toward all that is unresolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them... Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without knowing it, live along some distant day into the answers." Rania Maria Rilke
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I'm very impressed with your post. Most people choose to avoid this subject just because they are afraid to offend someone. Religion is a very interesting, complicated but yet very important topic to discuss. My question is.... how much of that should we teach in the classroom? Talking about not being trained to teach culture in the classroom- if you ask me now, my answer would be NO!!!
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that you are not afraid to offend. Hmm...
ReplyDeleteThat is quite a post, but I think you have some good points. Symbols often get misappropriated over time, and this is a very good example of that. Kudos to you for expressing what you thought - that is part of what a blog is for!
ReplyDeleteSo I agree with you on the fact that many people use religion or that is, the belief in the omnipotent higher power, to give excuse or salvation to their actions. It bothers me when people preach the ways to heaven and in the end just do the opposite because their arguments end up putting other beliefs down. I think that everyone should realize that your actions are not a result of a higher power and the consequences of those actions are not to be alleviated by that higher power either. You are the one that lives with the results of your actions and that should always be kept in mind. Now as for the Virgen de Guadalupe, being a catholic by association (raised in the Catholic church b/c of my parents) I think that it is more of a cultural insignia than a religious one. I mean whenever I see one I automatically think of Mexico or Mexican people (I'm Mexican so I'm not being racist) on the other hand when I see an imago of the Pope for example I always think of Catholicism and religion and not the Vatican....does that make sense?
ReplyDeletewow - great post. i agree with you absolutely 100%. it has always aggrivated me that people who are religious (no offense by any means - to each his own) tend to attribute their successes to a higher power. they take the human element out of it, as you said. it's great to be humble and thank god or whomever for your aiding you in your successes, but it's ultimately all about you. it's very easy to slide through life when nothing you do, good or bad, can be linked directly back to you.
ReplyDeletevery interesting! my favorite post for this word of the day!